Tuesday, July 18, 2006

There are so many things about this stage of Caroline's life that I don't want to forget. I have been thinking a lot about posterity this past week, or rather the last few days since Caroline turned one. There is so much about her life in the past year that I have forgotten already. Granted, none of the stuff I forgot is really important, but now that she is a year old I realize how quickly she is growing up and suddenly I want to remember all the little things, too. There is a part of me that wants to hang on to my baby forever. I know that isn't possible, but hopefully through journaling I will at least be able to hang on to a few more memories than I would have otherwise.

That said, this past week has been fairly uneventful. Except for a fall where Caroline tripped over her shoes, hit her mouth on a shelf in the armoire, busted her lip and chipped a tooth, we have made it through relatively unscathed. I am so amazed at how she handled the fall. Caroline is a tough kid. She hardly cried at all. I, on the other hand, was a mess (at least on the inside--I was pretty calm on the outside) but we got her all cleaned up and she is fine. Her lip healed completely in a couple of days and except for the tiny chip on her tooth you'd never know it happened. After chuckling at me a little bit and asking me if this was my first child, the dentist assured me that I don't have to worry about the tooth so now Caroline is fine and I am fine. And I learned a very important lesson: Babies don't need to wear shoes. I think my neighbor said it best when we told him what happened. He said "She doesn't need to wear shoes unless she's getting her picture taken. This is Arkansas after all."


I'll leave you with a few family pics from Caroline's party:


Our little family
















Caroline and her daddy


















The Rush Family
















The Ellcey Family

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Leah! I'm sorry I haven't called you back this week. I was taking classes about integrating technology into my classroom all week and have been super busy trying to create a powerpoint that will win me a digital video and still camera for my classroom. WE HAVE TO GET TOGETHER sometimes before school starts, OKAY??? :-) Your pictures of Caroline are all so lovely! I need to see her again! Oh, and I just wrote my first blog tonight (like you suggested.)

Talk to you soon! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Man, you got a good lookin' husband! And, your baby's REALLY cute, too! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I hope the above comment isn't taken wrongly... :o)

Anonymous said...

Just droppin' a little "Hello." I've been meaning to call you, but it keeps slipping my mind. We need to figure out what to do with my table and chairs. And also, if you guys come to Texas anytime in the future, you have to let me know! 'Cause I miss you and I don't see myself visiting Siloam anytime soon.